Sunday 8 April 2018

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 08-04-2018 - Damien Jurado, Car Seat Headrest, Sarah Blasko

Tracks Of The Week


London Scouser:-
Car Seat Headrest - 'Cute Thing' (2018)


Thanks to Flycasual for sending me the track 'Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales' early last year. It was immediately one of my #tracksoftheyear then and I still love it now. This track is almost as good, whilst still being amazing. When researching the song I found that they use some lyrics from 'Ana Ng' by They Might Be Giants which is one of my favourite 70 tracks by them (they've got so many great tracks for me). I'm looking forward to checking out their latest album 'Twin Fantasy (Face To Face) which is a reworking of their 2011 album. 

SFW:-
Damien Juradado - Over Rainbows and Rainier (2018)


Any release by Damien Jurado usually gets into my top tracks of the week.  Here is another! 

It's from his latest relasee 'The Horizon Just Laughed,’ which is out on Secretly Canadian on May 4th. It's his first self-produced album. Interestingly, it's available to purchase on May 4th, and available to stream via Spotify, Apple Music, and Pandora on July 6th. All vinyl pre-orders will be shipped to customers one month early, on April 9th. 

I think having the physical release available prior to the streaming services is the way to go. It encourages the purchase and places a little more value to this thing we love called music. (comments below please). 


Old Pa:- Sarah Blasko - 'Shot' (2018)

 

Here is a song from Sarah Blasko (an Australian singer) from her new album 'Depth of a Field'. She had a track a few years back, which was on my tracks of the year., but I'm dammed if I remember what it was. How sad is that. Old age I suppose. This is classic break up.
  



Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 08-04-2018 - Damien Jurado, Car Seat Headrest, Sarah Blasko
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
21 April 2018 at 04:21

LS, A solid choice.

Sfw, agreed about Damien Jurado making it into a TOTW. Fabulous track with equally smooth drone work. DJ will always have a place in my heart after his jet lagged performance at Latitude. I think the early availability of material prior to it being streamed is a good thing, to encourage fans to buy a ‘hard copy’. I’d do it with my favourite artists.

Old Pa. my track of the week. Ooof!

Reply
avatar
21 April 2018 at 10:05

FC really sums this up nicely and I agree with is comments on each.

Re buying music in hard copy. Well I grew up with it and it was probably one of the most magical experiences I have had. Only able to buy 1 or 2 albums a months and knowing every song and click on the vinyl as you hold cherish and read the notes on the back.

Sadly that magic has gone like the first 3 Star Wars.

Reply
avatar
22 April 2018 at 11:12

SFW - I really like this track, so much so that it's in my playlist of songs for 2018 so far, you just beat me to the punch.
OP - I didn't know of this artist, but on the strength of this I'm going to listen to more of her.

I can't decide on my favourite so I'll cop out and go for a tie.

Reply