Tuesday 25 August 2015

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 23-08-2015 - The Juan MacLean, Elbow, On An On, Kurt Vile,

Four riveting tracks to let your hair down to...



London Scouser:-
The Juan MacLean - 'A Place Called Space' (2014)


As soon as I heard this I thought 2 things... Firstly, is this the new Miami Vice theme tune ?? And secondly, this is amazing. It's 8 minutes of 80's sounding electronica and I'm hooked. Part of it sounded familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it... My first guess was LCD Soundsysten (which was incorrect) but after a little googling I did find that John MacLean (not him from Die Hard!!) co-founded DFA Records with James Murphy. The part in question (that I've since worked out is similar to about 5.30 into 'Dumb Disco Ideas' by Holy Ghost!) is repeated a few times throughout this song, but I noticed it at 2.05...

I hope you like it as much as me

Flycasual:-
Elbow - 'Roll Call' (2015)

I don't know why I've become so dubious about a new Elbow release, dismissive even. I've been a long time fan and was always aghast at why they weren't more successful than they were. Of course that deservedly changed and I suppose, pathetically, my attitude towards them too, as everyone jumped on their bandwagon. 'Roll Call', taken from July's four track EP, Lost Worker Bee, is everything I've ever loved about Elbow. Guy Garvey's voice and writing along with the bands musicianship (sounding a lot like their early stuff), cementing why Elbow have been one of my favourite ever bands. 


SFW:-
On An On - Icon Love (2015)

Close your eyes and try to imagine yourself drinking a cocktail whilst listening to this. I'd take that right now (it's raining cats and dogs here). On an On are a Minneapolis synth-pop trio that first came to my attention back in 2012 with the excellent Ghosts. They've recently released their second album, And The Wave Has Two Sides.  I love the synth bass and catchy chorus and although it does remind me a little bit like Keane, it could nicely fit on my "embers of summer" playlist! Time for another cocktail!

Old Pa :-
Kurt Vile - Pretty Pimpin'(2015)

 
I have been waiting for something new from Kurt Vile his last album Wakin on a Pretty Daze (2013) was one of my favourites from that year. I have to say I was not convinced with this on first hearing. But by the third hearing I was hooked and I just love it. can't wait for the album b'lieve I'm goin down out at the end of September firmly noted on my musical calender.

Listen or even better, subscribe to our tracks of the week playlist here...

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 23-08-2015 - The Juan MacLean, Elbow, On An On, Kurt Vile,
4/ 5
Oleh