Friday 28 August 2015

DYLAN COVERS # 198 Warren Zevon - Chimes of Freedom/Ring Them Bells

for every hung-up person

WARREN ZEVON - Chimes of Freedom (2000)

Here are two live takes by the late great 'Werewolf of London' himself. Warren was a big fan of Dylan and there are quite a few covers going the rounds. The first up is The Chimes of Freedom from a concert in Philadelphia in 2000 and the second is Ring Them Bells from a concert in Denver in 1996.

Both are pretty good.

 
WARREN ZEVON - Ring Them Bells (1996)

Related Posts

DYLAN COVERS # 198 Warren Zevon - Chimes of Freedom/Ring Them Bells
4/ 5
Oleh

1 comments:

comments
avatar
28 August 2015 at 21:05

I'm a big fan of Warren Zevon, so I was looking forward to checking out these covers, though in the end, unfortunately neither quite did it for me. What is that weird pitch control on his voice in 'Chimes of Freedom'? Lose that and it would be a good version, but as it was I could barely stand to keep listening until the end of the song. Then there's the unnecessary jumping between keys in 'Ring Them Bells', which again, for me at least, spoils a potentially great performance.
Perhaps I'm just being too picky.

Reply