Sunday 29 March 2015

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 29/3/2015 - Patrick Watson, Brian Wilson, The Four Owls, Kendrick Lamar

Four tracks that had our vote this week....




Shell Hunter:-
Kendrick Lamar - 'King Kunta' (2015)


 I decided to get back into hearing new music by putting my new digital radio in the nursery. Every morning now I stick it on whilst it's feeding time. Yesterday was the first day I thought, "This is excellent, I wonder what it is". I haven't said that for a while it seems! This track is taken from Kendrick Lemar's latest album called To Pimp A Butterfly which was out last week. This isn't normally my thing but it was so good to hear something different and I especially like the little metallic sound which happens every now and then. It's like when a cartoon character gets hit in the head and goes all googly-eyed! Kendrick Lamar is an American Hip Hopster spinning in all the right circles. He has already worked with Godfather of Hip Hop, Dr. Dre so I'm down with some good taste. Word to ya mutha.


Old Pa's Corner :-  
Brian Wilson - Sail Away (2015)


Wow! A new album by one of the true greats Mr Brian Wilson. The new album out soon is called Piers Pressure (2015), and I can't wait to hear it.

I am sitting here in the UK looking out the window watching a couple of squirrels fighting over some nuts and I am listening to this with my cans on. I smile, I am feeling happy, I won't forget the moment. Music you have done it again.

Flycasual:-
The Four Owls - 'Silent Flight' (2014)



"I bumped into my friend the owl the other day and I told him that I had got engaged.....and he said "you twit twoo".Owls, apart from being the recipient of perhaps the best joke in the universe and fierce nocturnal hunters, it's also the name of UK Hip Hop supergroup, The Four Owls (Fliptrix, VerbT, BVA and Leaf Dog). A straight up 'head bobber', the track encapsulates all that is great about the genre, which is sometimes lacking and like Old Skool crews (The Pharcyde, Beasties and Wu-Tang for example), it's the witty lyricism and interplay with the various members of the group, each with their distinct voices that I love. 'Silent Flight', is taken from their 2nd album, Natural Order, out last month (Feb), get your...ehm...talons into it here. UK represent.

High Focus records...

SFW:-
Patrick Watson - Love Songs For Robots (2015)


Montreal's finest has recently released the title track to whet our appetite and I haven't been disappointed. With his 2012 album, Adventures in your own back yard,  still a part of my monthly musical diet, any news of a new album would always be taken with nervous excitement. It follows his familiar format of whispery vocals, piano-led music that can easily put the listener into a sleep-like trance (in a good way!).  Comparisons to Bon Iver with a bass line similar to Air (circa Moon Safari) are not far off the mark.



Listen or even better, subscribe to our tracks of the week playlist here...

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 29/3/2015 - Patrick Watson, Brian Wilson, The Four Owls, Kendrick Lamar
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
29 March 2015 at 17:03

Lovin' the Four Owls tune. A new name to me and an Old Skool flavoured delight. Tune of the Week!

Reply
avatar
sfw
29 April 2015 at 22:12

SH - loving this. I've been singing this when I get to work.
OP - sorry Brian
FC - tidy mun

Reply
avatar
30 April 2015 at 14:16

SH, hey...I sing this too when I go into work. Great album too, Compton has a new king.

OP, I hate to to say but this is pretty bad.

Sfw, another strong track.

Reply