Friday 12 December 2014

DYLAN COVERS # 176 Billy Preston/Terence Trent D'Arby - It's Alright Ma, I'm only Bleedin'


Darkness at the Break of Noon!

 
BILLY PRESTON - It's Alright Ma! I'm Only Bleedin (1973)

What the s*** Terence Trent D'Arby covering our Bob, well what next?.  One Direction,  or is there a Michel Jackson outtake out there somewhere.  That was a bit of a pleasant surprise coming across that one.

Saying that Billy Preston was also not who you would expect also. But at least he was a contemporary and played with the Beatles and Dylan. So no big deal there.

Which is even more strange is that the It's Alright Ma! I'm Only Bleedin' is not the easiest song to cover and I suppose you have to be a bit of a fan to cover that one. Fair play Guys. I love 'em!

Billy Preston  is from his 1973 album  Everybody Likes Some Kind Of Music and  Tel,  you can find on his Greatest Hits (2002).

Both are not unpleasant!!
TERENCE TRENT D 'ARBY - It's Alright Ma! I'm Only Bleedin (2002)

Related Posts

DYLAN COVERS # 176 Billy Preston/Terence Trent D'Arby - It's Alright Ma, I'm only Bleedin'
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
12 December 2014 at 19:54

Billy Preston - I love this. Funktastic. Would have served a Blaxploitation pic perfectly. Did it?

TTD is a big Bob fan, so not so surprising. I like a lot of his stuff but not this.

Reply
avatar
13 December 2014 at 09:16

TTD put out some great records early in his career, but I'm not sure that choosing to cover this (uncoverable?) song was one of his best decisions. It doesn't work for me.
Preston's version is better, the construction and production of the tune sounds fabulous, but the lyrics to one of my favourite Dylan songs just don't convince me in this context.

Reply