Sunday 28 September 2014

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 28/09/14 - The Fat White Family, Sinkane, Gardens & Villas, Clap! Clap!, Death Has No Dominion

...five tracks that probed our ears this week!



Old Pa's Corner:-
The Fat White Family - Cream of the Young (2014)

 
Looking for a starter for Sunday Lunch, well how about this nice taster Cream of the Young from the fabulously named Band The Fat White Family. This track can be found on their album Champagne Holocaust (2014). It sounds nice and dark with a little bit of the Doors throw in for good measure.
I have been listening to this album all week and it is rather good. If you like this track you will most certainly love the album.

Shell Hunter:-
Sinkane - 'How We Be' (2014)


The drive home after a late shift is always a pleasure. Asides from the obvious (knowing I can get straight into my PJ's and jump on the sofa), it's a great time to hear 30 minutes worth of new stuff on Xfm's Xposure with John Kennedy. This song was very much a stop me in my tracks moment and was just finishing when I pulled up in my car park so I quickly made a note of the time to check out the playlist later on. It was the electro-soul fusion that hit me. I discovered it was by London born Sudanese, Sinkane, real name Ahmed Gallab. Playing a plethora of instruments, and having interesting influences such as free jazz and shoegaze, I think he's definitely the sort of artist I'm going to like. That along with the fact he is signed with DFA records whom hold signings with big faves of mine present and past: Hot Chip, The Rapture and LCD Soundsystem. Stand by for the clincher though...he acted as musical director for Atomic Bomb! The Music of William Onyearbor earlier this year!

London Scouser:-
Gardens and Villas - 'Bullet Train' (2014)


Once again I have found a band courtesy of Spotify, 'Gardens & Villas' hail from Santa Barbara and this track features on their second album 'Dunes' which was released in February this year. Wikipedia describes their musical style as Indie-Rock & Synth-Pop and it's the latter of these two that I get the most from this track. It's about as 'Hot Chip' as I've heard from a band that aren't Hot Chip, and is nicely filling the void until such time as Alexis, Joe et al release something new. Even the video reminds me of the HC style. I've listend to Dunes a couple of times and like what I hear... But will you ???


Flycasual:-
Clap! Clap! - 'Kuj Yato' (2014)



Really intriguing stuff this. I love all types of African music but this track turned my head and had me doing the Roger Moore 'eyebrow' at the Stereo. A mix of traditional percussive rhythms, with some of it recorded in the field, sampled over bass heavy house beats. Clap! Clap! is an Italian producer who has created a debut concept album, Tayi Bebba, about a fictional island, with each song telling a story of this imaginary land. The music intertwines the old with the futuristic to good effect, using Hip Hop, Bass music and House to create a unique soundscape. Not your average African 'banger'! Anyway....whatever, it's a good listen!


Sfw:-
Death Has No Dominion - Coming Like A Hurricane (2014)


Death Has No Dominion are a Danish folk-ambient, two-piece who have taken their name from the Dylan Thomas Poem. Falsetto vocals, airy guitars and melody that puts you into a trance they are certainly a band I'll be keeping an eye out for. It's a bit short but I like it!  The self-titled album is out now.


Listen or even better, subscribe to our tracks of the week playlist here...

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 28/09/14 - The Fat White Family, Sinkane, Gardens & Villas, Clap! Clap!, Death Has No Dominion
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
sfw
28 September 2014 at 10:38

OP - Interesting
SH - Pop-tastic
LS - I like this
FC - bring a bottle

Reply
avatar
28 September 2014 at 21:23

Old Pa. I've heard quite a lot of their stuff (Steve Lamacq is a big fan), but this is a new one on me. An interesting bunch and a good tune.

Shell Hunter. No need to even play this one. A fantastic single that has grown on me more and more with every hearing. I got the album on the basis of the one track - it's pretty good too.

London Scouser. I'm sure I've got their first album lurking on an old hard drive, but I can't find it at the moment (the curse of the download). In my mind it was more lo-fi than this, but of course I could be thinking of something else completely. A nice enough tune - quite 1980s-ish.

Flycasual. The marimba rhythm reminds me of a track on 'African Gems', a brilliant 2014 compilation of field recordings on SWP Records that I've been meaning to recommend to you.
The Clap Clap tune is very good indeed. Nice one.

SFW. An understated little number that passed me by first time around, but I enjoyed on the second hearing. Sounds (and looks, judging from the video) like it should be given a Balearic remix.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
29 September 2014 at 07:50

Fat White Family - good to see a the young Ron Mael making a comeback.

Sinkane - thought we had another time traveller here, acting as musical director to Atomic Rooster but I'd jumped the gun. Pleasant.

Gardens and Villas - pretty groovy but if they want to emulate Hot Chip they'll need to get some Geog. teachers' beards and matching jackets.

Clap! Clap! - an excellent melange.

Death Has No Dominion - Danish folk-ambient that references Dylan Thomas? What's not to like?

Reply
avatar
29 September 2014 at 10:34

Old Pa, bloody hell that is one weird and effing disgusting video. I'd hate to have been that relucant band member roped in to that. "c'mon, it'll be fun". Good stuff though and another band I've been meaning to get into post Latitude.

SH, boom! I haven't heard this before! Superb...my new fav track. Great video too, ballet rocks!

LS, another cracker, nice find!

Sfw, another top track...some great choices this week, shame it's too short. Agree with the Swede, this should be given a blissed out Balaeric treatment.

Reply