Wednesday 21 May 2014

Sutherland Brothers and Quiver - We are Sailing

OLD PA'S WEDNESDAY CLUB
STAN THE MAN
STAN THE MAN
 
SUTHERLAND BROTHERS AND QUIVER

I had not seen Stan for a while and it was great to to see him and catch up. I brought a case of McEwan's Export and 2 bottles of Merrydown, That was a always a good starter. I know Stan would have some reserves as well. I knew I was going to have a good bevvy and we would be listening to music old and new.

It was happiness all round. I loved Stan, We were brought together because of circumstance. We knew each other in Inverness but we were not close then. We were both transferred to East Kilbride and were to be in the same flat. It was a block of flats dedicated to the young people transferred to this new Tax Centre. All young people in flats together....a recipe for a fucking great time.

Anyway I digress...Stan I suppose looked like an older Van Morrison...but he was like me, into the music...Stan could read a book in a sitting...he had the ability to skim pages. We were inseparable in East Kilbride...we did everything together....folk Clubs...listening to the 1 maybe 2 albums we bought each month on the crappiest of stereos. But it was always about the music with me and Stan. It was always about the music.

We came home, we played music...we were drunk, we played music. Pay day was best. We met up after finishing work, headed for the record shop...got our selections...headed for the bar...got some in. Got a carry out and headed home...one side each, of our new albums, while enjoying our carry out....there may even be a party later, girls to meet, there always was....but we had the music to listen to and a carry out to finish first.

Stan brought round The Sutherland Brothers and Quivers album which had the Rod Stewart song Sailing. We both agreed the original was far superior.

It was a shame  Rod never recovered from the steal.

Related Posts

Sutherland Brothers and Quiver - We are Sailing
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
21 May 2014 at 20:04

Stan sounds the perfect mate. I always thought SB and Q were being a bit greedy having TWO names. I mean, make your mind up!

Reply
avatar
24 May 2014 at 19:35

Stan was perfect....Stan is dead I am afraid! I miss Stan!

Reply
avatar
C
25 May 2014 at 11:24

Sorry I missed this post at the time so I'm a bit late but just want to say how your story of Stan made me smile, but I'm sorry he's not still around. Some friends are just special!

Reply
avatar
27 May 2014 at 14:16

Lovely memories Old Pa, but I can't believe you passed up the opportunity to title the post 'My Friend Stan'!

Reply