Sunday 1 December 2013

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 01/12/13 - Wooden Shjips, Cults, Rosanne Cash, Bombay Bicycle Club, Gogol Bordello

Five tracks, brighter than comet Ison..



Flycasual:-
Wooden Shjips - 'Back to Land' (2013)



No they're not Dutch but their brand of psychedelic rock wouldn't go amiss amongst the coffee shops of Amsterdam. Hey, it's not me...I'm not the one type casting but San Francisco's Wooden Shjips' genre has been categorised as 'Space Rock' and the music press have compared them to The Doors and the Velvet Underground, trippy accolade indeed. Anyway I love this, definitely from sunnier climes and dreamy, a relentless psychedelic groove with freewheeling guitar solos, what's not to like. 'Back to Land' is taken from the bands fourth album of the same name and it's pretty E-dam good....sorry.


Wooden Shjips at Thrill Jockey Records or dock at their website here..

London Scouser:-
Bombay Bicycle Club - 'Carry Me' (2013)



It's been a few years since I last saw anything new by the BBC, and it's definitely been worth the wait. This is the first single off of their as yet unnamed 4th album, which is due to be released in early 2014.It's got the unmistakeable sound that first attracted me to the band, with a video that reminds me of Hot Chip. They also have an interactive video for the song, which can be found by clicking here and is a little odd, but good fun.

Old Pa's Corner:-
Rosanne Cash - A Feather's Not A Bird (2013)


There seems to a bit of a buzz about the new album  The River And The Thread by Rosanne Cash which is due for release mid January 2914. If this first sample A Feather's Not A Bird is anything to go by, I for one will be waiting with anticipation. This track is pure bliss, superb backing, great voice and a top song, it does not get much better than this.

Check out the guest musicians who include Cory Chisel, Rodney Crowell (who also co-wrote one song), Amy Helm, Kris Kristofferson, Allison Moorer, John Prine, Derek Trucks, John Paul White (The Civil Wars), Tony Joe White and Gabe Witcher (The Punch Brothers.)

Bleedin' 'ell, that is some list of friends you 'ave got there Rosanne!.
  

Shell Hunter:-
Gogol Bordello - 'Lost Innocent World' (2013)

 
A colleague of mine invited me to watch a group on December 13th at Brixton Academy that he's heavily into, which descibe themselves as 'Gypsy punks' but are actually from Manhattan. After reading that they play traditional instruments which include the violin and accordion and influences are a mixture of dub and punk such as Manu Chao and The Clash, I had to check them out! This is their latest single taken from an album released earlier this year called Pure Vida Conspiracy. It makes me think of a Romanian verision of the Pogues and I'll bet my money they are a right hoot to see live! Watch this space!

Sfw:-
Cults - High Road (2013)
 
This delightful track by Cults is an indiepop masterpiece and should be the blue print for everyone to follow. Beat + '60s'synths + funky bassline, guitars and a vocal hook that could catch a Marlin. It is a musical pill you could take all day!


Subscribe to our 2013 Tracks of the Week Spotify Playlist



Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 01/12/13 - Wooden Shjips, Cults, Rosanne Cash, Bombay Bicycle Club, Gogol Bordello
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
1 December 2013 at 17:17

Flycasual. Freaky video! Love this band (and Moon Duo). I've heard this a few times now and it just gets better & better.

London Scouser. A late entrant for tune of the year here at Swede Towers. Breathtaking, angular stuff - reminds me of Grizzly Bear.

Old Pa. I don't know a lot about Rosanne (other than the obvious), but I like this tune a lot and will definitely bookmark it for....hang on 2914?

Shell Hunter. I've heard some of their stuff over the years - I think you're in for a good night! I look forward to the review.

Sfw. I found this a little...smooth to start with, but by the end of the song I was hooked and rewinding for more. It's a little corker on the quiet.

Reply
avatar
C
2 December 2013 at 15:27

Absolutely loving the Cults - thank you!

Reply
avatar
10 January 2014 at 11:25

LS, susc a talented young band with something like four albums I think already. Never scared to innovate their sound too, indie rock, folk and now a bit of electronica, this is good.

SH, I've heard a few tracks from these guys and their Vodka fuelled tales, problem is I lead such a sedentary life these days that one listen of their album will probably give me a hangover.

Sfw, nice track, wasn't sure about the chorus but it really grows on you. Definitely one that passed my by considering I absolutely loved Go Outside.

Old Pa, for some reason I can't play the link, even in Soundcloud with no vid on YouTube, I'll have to wait until Jan 14 2914 then to hear it.

Reply