Sunday 18 November 2012

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 18/11/12 - The Rolling Stones, Deftones, Woods, The Civil Twilight

Four tracks that got our whiskers twitchin' this week.... What were yours??
 


Old Pa's Corner :-
Woods - Bend Beyond (2012)


This track is the title track from Woods' latest album Bend Beyond. They come from Brooklyn (funny that) and although this is their 5th album they are new to me. This is great retro stuff, could be the sixties or maybe the seventies with a hint of the Byrds in there,  the singer reminds me a bit of Mercury Rev. I have been playing this album for the past few days and it was a toss up between this track and their single Cali in a Cup which is maybe more accessible and commercial. The album is not to be missed at any cost.

If you like the track, below is a 9 min version which is nothing short of immaculate and is worth the effort, trust me?


SFW:-
The Civil Twilight - 'River' (2012)


You gotta love a great chorus and The Civil Twilight's, River certainly has that. They originate from Cape Town, South Africa but now reside in Nashville. Their album Holy Weather, was released in March, but has it's UK release in Spring 2013.  Vocalist Steven McKeller sounds a wee bit like Thom Yorke/Jeff Buckley, but their sound is their own.


Ra Ra Remix Version

Shell Hunter:-
Deftones - 'Tempest' (2012)


It was the build up and the tension that did it, the uncontrollable urge to nod my head in slow but sure rock acknowledgement which made me know Tempest was a winner. Thanks to Zane Lowe for giving me the heads up of the Deftones new album Koi No Yokan (which means Love's Premonition in Japanese) via Twitter, which was released on Monday.  There are some brilliant songs in there, my favourites being Tempest and Rosemary each with some spiky, dramatic and tense moments with the occasional reprieve which comes like a soothing after sun balm at the end of a scorching day. Chino Moreno's vocals sometimes remind me that of Dave Gahan from Depeche Mode and that's not a bad thing. This latest offering has been compared to White Pony which was the album that for me, was most memorable (check out a Deftones classic post from White Pony here) and I'm sure will please Deftones fans all over. With a new album comes an anticipated tour and the London date for Brixton Academy is set for 20th February. Now that would be worth fighting to go and see!

Sign up to the mailing list at www.deftones.com and to get tickets for their up and coming tour!

Flycasual:-
The Rolling Stones - 'Doom and Gloom' (2012)


Unquestionably, this had to be my choice of track as a result of hearing it approximately 25 times this week, due to my 3 and a half year old son's penchant for loud and riff heavy tunes (the toddler friendly gorilla cover, the clincher). As it is, it is a very good track, sure it won't break the mould but it's just a no nonsense, foot stomping, Rock N Roll track. A throw back to their classics, something The Stones do and have done so well and have no rival to. 'Doom and Gloom' is one of two new tracks taken from their latest greatest hits compendium, GRRR!. Now back to teaching my son the Jagger swagger!



Checkout our Spotify Playlist



 

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 18/11/12 - The Rolling Stones, Deftones, Woods, The Civil Twilight
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
sfw
18 November 2012 at 12:50

I'm astounded how good this weeks tracks are! Everyone a winner - 3 of which I was going to use! :-)

Woods is new to me, very 60's, very Beatles. I'll be checking them out!

Keep up the good work!

Reply
avatar
19 November 2012 at 20:27

Love Woods OPC, and didn't realise they already has another album out - they don't hang about! Great tune and the long live version is just amazing!

When I first heard 'Doom & Gloom' a couple of weeks ago I was genuinely shocked at how good it is. The best tune the Stones have put out in, I dunno, 25 years? In the top 5 anyway! Sadly the second new song they've released from 'Grrr' isn't a patch on this beaut.

Reply
avatar
20 November 2012 at 10:45

SFW - I love this one...just up my path! will check them out
SH - another cracker a haunting drone in a nice way. Tempest not to confused with Dylan's 14 min epic from the album of the same name
FC - a greatest hits rolled into one package, brilliant

Reply
avatar
22 November 2012 at 12:32

SH, Despite being given an almighty fright 03:37 into the song as I drove home from work, I liked it. I dismissed the album earlier on but on further listening there are some really strong songs on there. I can see the David Gahan similarities too. For songs of destructive beauty, look no further.

SFW, you're right about the chorus but the whole songs great. I prefer the original but that's maybe because the remix gives me an urge to dance like Emilio Estevez in the Breakfast Club.

Old Pa, great stuff, the 9 min live version is indeed immaculate but it's like they are only playing to dog walkers in Cranford Park!

Like the Swede, I was surprised how good the Stones track is and as you brilliantly described 'as all their greatest hits all rolled into one'.

Reply