Thursday 20 September 2012

Jamiroquai - 'Little L'


Recollection Collection......musical memories recalled with affection!

 Cuban heat!



Jamiroquai - Little L (2001)

Categorically I'm a wallflower, I do not dance, it's safer for everyone that it remains that way. But one song in particular always seems to get me moving, however badly, and that's the bubbling bassline, strings and claps of 'Little L', it just oozes funk. I'm not even a big fan of Jamiroquai even though they have made some great tunes. It's like I've unknowingly partaken in a government experiment, I have had an implant and I am only activated into service when a certain signal is relayed, in this case this song. 

Taxi for Flycasual!
It's reminds of a holiday to Cuba in 2001, where I picked up the album for my wife, 'Little L' was on it and I just couldn't get enough of it. We had been going out for a year, so we were still checking each other out (yeah) and so there were plenty of opportunities for deal breakers, dancing like a chicken scratching for grits would probably be one of them. One evening we were having a few drinks at the hotel bar, after one Cuba Libre too many, the revolution in my pants was in full swing and I turned to my girlfriend and said 'Let's take this to the Disco', I had it in my head that I wanted to hear 'Little L' and maybe glide and move like Jay Kay. The DJ had never heard of it and continued to play some tragic Euro pop. So despite my girlfriend's protests, I decided to go back to the room to fetch it. By the time I came back, (thankfully) some off duty hotel staff were providing the guests to an impromptu display of dancing to some Cuban Son music, it was saucy, sultry, hip to hip action and I wasn't about to ruin the mood by moving about with all the sexiness of a damp cloth. Dignity intact and probably what uncle Che would have wanted!

Jay Kay, certainly not scratching for grits..
Jamiroquai's official site here...




Related Posts

Jamiroquai - 'Little L'
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
20 September 2012 at 13:19

Excellent post you had me laughing ...the truth is we have all been there....but the shame being stuck on us the next day!

Reply
avatar
20 September 2012 at 14:00

Too funny! Great song, one of my faves because of the hand claps. LOL!

Reply