Wednesday 1 August 2012

WEDNESDAY CLUB - U2/Daniel Lanois - Zooropa/The Maker

MIDWEEK CRISIS you've been had over, come to WEDNESDAY CLUB we've got Daniel Lanois, an Olympic Stadium, U2 and a Happy ending! (Part 2 of 2)

Prepare for lift off!
 
U2 - Zooropa(live)

U2 are playing tonight at the Olympic Stadium  (click for set list) and I am in Montreal. I just have to go. I phoned the stadium from my Hotel and after much hassle I got through. There was limited tickets left and it was a first come first serve basis.

I reached the Stadium without too much problem and then I saw the queue at the ticket desk, it could have gone round the world twice. I wandered about checking out bars and toilets, when this guy approached me. He asked do I want to buy a ticket as his friend could not come and that it was a very good position. He said that he would give it to me for face value, which as I remember was near $40 dollars.  Pretty expensive in those days.

I was ecstatic, look at all these losers in that massive queue.  When I studied the ticket after he left I saw to my absolute horror that the date was for a month or so earlier. I was inconsolable, who was the loser now, how could I have been so stupid? I must have looked distressed as a steward came and asked me if I was OK. I explained the situation and he said no it is alright the original concert was cancelled and this is the re-arranged one. In fact 'you got an excellent ticket there mate!'.

I entered the stadium and I was about 3 rows from the front and next to a platform that jutted out from the stage. Later I was touching distance from Bono himself and got covered in the champagne he was spraying. It was a brilliant concert. It was in the days when U2 were prbably at their most popular.  Zooropa was an excellent album as was the previous album Achtung Baby.

The highlight was when Daniel Lanois came on stage and played guitar, unfortunately he did not do anything from his brilliant solo album Acadia. Not too worry! here is the lead track from this album. A happy ending!


Oh! by the way the Zooropa version is from the new Live U2 album U22 which is pretty good. I find it a bit of a shame that they are now, like REM, considered old hat or dad rock. Still every dog has its....bono! 

DANIEL LANOIS - The Maker

For more WEDNESDAY CLUB Olympics


Related Posts

WEDNESDAY CLUB - U2/Daniel Lanois - Zooropa/The Maker
4/ 5
Oleh