Saturday 23 July 2011

GUEST SPOT # 6 - Gemma Hayes - Something in my way


This weeks Guest Spot is by Carl Lewis!

Gemma Hayes - Something in my way

Music can mean so many different things to different people,I can get a buzz from an addictive rhythm section as easily as a catchy guitar riff. What stimulates my eardrums though, more than any other facet of musicality is a killer melody coupled with stellar lyrics. Much like a good movie soundtrack enhances the story telling experience, the poetry of song with the correct delivery pulls me into the composers headspace, asking questions of the frame of mind during the writing process. Like Adams' broken delivery of "Sweet Carolina", Duritz' thought provocing performance of "Round Here" or Vedder's intent, vocalizing "my bitter hands chafe beneath the cloud", Gemma has the ability to deliver her story with belief. To transport you away into the story, or if the lyrics suggest, one of your own. Gemma is by far, in my opinion, one of the most talented singer/songwriters to grace the past decade. A fantastic ear for a melody and quite often suprises me with the direction it goes. There was a time in my life when I needed a friend on regular long drives, exciting and scary times. Along with a few others, Gemma's debut, "night on my side" was a companion that is now a personal favourite for the company it gave me. 

Related Posts

GUEST SPOT # 6 - Gemma Hayes - Something in my way
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
23 July 2011 at 10:20

Never been a great Lover of female singer song writers, with the exception maybe of Joni Michell but Gemma sounds interesting and I will check out her first album

Reply
avatar
sfw
23 July 2011 at 12:03

I first saw her supporting Counting Crows and she's a quality songwriter, fantastic performer and 'easy on the eye' (it's a song title from her debut)

Reply
avatar
23 July 2011 at 22:02

Ah Carl Lewis...now there's a name I haven't heard in a long long time. Thanks for the contribution pal and making the blog look good with some serious smoking guitar. I guess she's not bad either.

Reply