Thursday 19 May 2011

WEDNESDAY CLUB - Bert Jansch - Needle of Death

BERT JANSCH - Needle of Death(1965)

I first heard this way back in the early 60's and have been a big fan of Bert ever since. His first Album where this is taken from is incredible with many great memorable songs. And it was once said he is the Hendrix of the acoustic guitar, I must agree. He later became part of the Pentangle and along with John Renbourn formed the best 2 lead guitars in any group, bar none. This is one of the great drugs songs and still sounds fresh and relevant today.

I did have the pleasure of meeting Bert in the flesh. He was playing in a small venue in Isleworth Middlesex. I had a few drinks one lunch time to celebrate a colleagues birthday and it was him that told me Burt was playing locally.That was it we were going Bert has always been one of my favourites.

Straight from work to the Venue and to the Bar, we were there for a few hours when I looked up and standing next to me was Burt himself. I could not believe my eyes. Normally I would have been quiet and reserved but because of the session I was straight in. 'Hi Bert, what can I get you'. He told me that he did not drink anymore. I then stumbled out like some kind of obsessed groupie that I was his greatest fan and in the sixties he, Dylan and Muhammad Ali were my Heroes. He replied with great humility that he was in great company there.

I asked him if he would play 'Walk quietly by' from his just released album 'When the Circus comes to Town' as I told him it was my track of the year so far. He promised he would. Bert my mate.

The venue was one of these all tables and candle in the middle jobs. Some fans sat cross legged in front of the stage (ex hippies).

It was all a very civilised affair until Burt announced that the next song was for me. I immediately stood up arms waving and smashed my full pint across the table. to the gasp and horror of the dedicated well behaved fans.

Sorry Burt, but thanks and a great song.
   
Wednesday Club....I want more!

Related Posts

WEDNESDAY CLUB - Bert Jansch - Needle of Death
4/ 5
Oleh

1 comments:

comments
avatar
Anonymous
5 October 2011 at 21:01

Bert dedicated a song to you!! Impressive. It must have been a great night. There'll never be another Mr. Jansch.

Reply